Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tonight's Debate Not so Political

John McCain (left) stands with Barack Obama after their first debate on 26 September Tonight is the second time Obama and McCain with face head to head in a presidential debate. I personally haven't follow this election season as closely as possible, but I do know some stuff. I didn't watch the first presidential debate or the vice-presidential debate. In this debate I was shocked at how much each candidate "subtly" bashes the other. It is coming from both sides. If I wasn't trying to listen to the political issues I would be hearing two men just insulting each other. I guess I'm just naive and didn't know how many insults were used to bash the other opponent. Getting back to the political standpoint of the debate...While I am listening I have heard the word "Healthcare" a ton. Even though these candidates are talking about healthcare most of the talk is just about what the other candidate is or isn't doing. Obama and McCain haven't really been specific in what they want to change but just that they are going to make change. I will continue to watch the debate but so far I am unsatisfied because of the lack of specifics. I am also following the debate by live updates from another blog. This blog is simply stating the facts of what the candidates said for each question. I am surprised how unbiased this blog is but it still effectively states the facts. I will keep going back to the blog during the night. You can follow this blog by this link Think Progress: Presidential Debate.
Oct 21/08- It has almost been a week since the third debate and looking back on the third one now I noticed that the second and third debates were very similar in their "insultiness" if you know what I mean. The only thing I observed is that the third debate, the insults were much less subtle than the last debate. I could tell McCain was very frustrated in how the debate was going so he started to lash out on Obama. McCain wasn't the only one using insults though. Unlike the second debate though, I did hear more specifics in each of their plans to help revive our nation from these "perilous times". Just as an added note, while watching the debate i personally thought McCain did better overall but once it ended and I heard analists' points of view, my view on the debate was the exact opposite from the analists. They all said Obama won the debate and I didn't agree with them. Reporting on this now I don't remember really why I thought McCain won but I felt like he did. Overall i was very surprised on how many public bashes each candidate used on eachoter and I guess I never really understood the "dog eat dogginess" election season was until these past few weeks.

2 comments:

Zack said...

Gordie I too was pretty suprised at how much subtle bashing was going on between the two candidates. Especially from Obama who is always so calm and collected and never seems to show any sign of anger or frustration. However, I think that once you get to the end of the election things get very crazy and a candidate will do whatever it takes to look better than his opponent. I'm sure things can only get worse.

OC said...

Gordie,

Some strong observations here. It'd be nice to quote some of the "subtle insults" you heard. Your comments hover at the general level here.

Also, you might want to check out On the Media (Oct. 17th). It's a fascinating look at forces that affect our perceptions of debates.