Thursday, September 11, 2008

Looking Back on 9/11


It was a Tuesday morning and I was sitting in Ms. Curran's 4th grade class. I remember I was sitting next to one of my best friends from Sunset Ridge Trey Surpless. It was a normal morning, since it was only 4th grade not too much was going on. Then all of the sudden my Principal came onto the intercom. I remember it him saying, "Hello this is Dr. B and I have some horrific news. Today around 8 am New York time, an airplane flew into the side of one of the World Trade Center towers. Only fifteen minutes later another plane flew into the other tower. I will keep updating you all throughout the course of the day." granted it was 7 years ago some of this could be a little off. After I heard my Principal say this i wasn't really sure to think because i had no idea what the World Trade Center was or the significance it had on our nation. My 4th grade as a hole didn't have a real knowledge of the situation so the day was all in a blur. When I got home from school that day I saw my dad sitting in front of my television. This was very confusing to me because it was much too early for him to be home. My dad and I talked about what had happened for a little. I was most frightened when my dad told me that Chicago was theorized to be a potential target. My dad, at the time, worked in the 3rd tallest building in Chicago. He said told me all of Chicago had been evacuated for every one's safety. Just the mere thought of my dad being in danger scared me. I was just happy to see him home. That's the most of what I remember of this historic day. What really got me today was when I was on my way home from school today I passed the Northfield Fire station. They had the ladder one of their fire trucks stretched out with a big American flag attached on the end.
The flag waved in the wind right over the road. While I drove under the flag goose bumps appeared on my arm. At that moment I really felt like I understood the patriotism and pride in our great nation. The anguish and horror America felt 7 years ago finally set in to me. At that moment I was truly proud to be an American.

No comments: